Sunday, July 15, 2012

Keeaumoku Supermarket: Korea grocery store and a few more surprises from the Motherland

keeaumoku supermarket
Keeaumoku supermarket 

 Being back in Hawaii, I've only ever shopped for my Korean fix and food imports at Palama Supermarket.

But then I recently discovered another Korean supermarket!

 While it's been out for some time, I just had to post it for those newbies out there. Keeaumoku Supermarket on 835 Keeaumoku is tucked away in  a small mall plaza next to Red House Honolulu so it may not be apparent to the passing drivers.



It's noteworthy to mention because the market is probably as big as the Palama Market store near Don Quixote. Unfortunately, I only had my crappy iPod Touch camera to capture this store (and in the process am losing respect for iPod Touch cameras).

Keeaumoku Supermarket
keeaumoku supermarket    keeaumoku supermarket
kimchi
kimchi
Keeaumoku Supermarket stocks a lot of Korean foods and imports and the prices are comparable to Palama. It's got a small 'Beauty Touch' beauty store section, a bakery section, a small restaurant/takeout section in the back, as well as meats and fish sections. In some respects, I feel like it has more items than Palama and it stocks products you wouldn't think you could get unless you were in Korea.

Korean halibut flat fish
Korean halibut ( or scary flat fish)  Better photo here

 The shocker was this flat fish halibut (above), which I've seen all over Korea and which gives me vegetarian nightmares. Yes, I've tried it. A good friend treated me to sushi when I arrived in Seoul and it was hard to decline such a generous offer. No, I don't get the big deal about it. I didn't care for it and struggled forcing it down for the sake of being polite.  I'm not a big fan of foreign fish, especially when it looks different from the look of fish... as I know it (read my experience here).

 Anyways, if you like Korean halibut, know you can get it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment